Saturday, November 2, 2013

15 Months

Jonah's 15 months old today.

15 going on 30, as they say.

Yesterday we took him to his 15-month doctor's appointment, and I found myself somewhat flummoxed by the nurse practitioner's development assessment questions:

NP:  "Is he starting to experiment with climbing the stairs?"

Me: "Uh...he practically runs up the stairs. He's been climbing both up and down for months now."  (Actually, as of gym class last week, Jonah has even mastered climbing a ladder!)

NP:  "Does he say at least six words?"

Me:  "He has so many words.  I don't even try to count them anymore."

NP:  "And does he point to things, like things he wants?"

Me (as Jonah feverishly pokes his index finger at a piece of wall art):  "As you can see, he very much does."

NP:  "Does he try to use a spoon?  I mean, does he hold a spoon sometimes when he eats, even if he just makes a mess with it?"

Me:  "Oh, well, actually, he insists on using utensils at every meal!  He eats entire bowls of yogurt and oatmeal, for instance, with a spoon."

And so on.

I can hardly believe how quickly he's growing, how cleverly and thoughtfully he interacts with us.  He wants to do everything we do--and often surprises us by doing so.  This evening, for instance, as I was cleaning up post-dinner, Jonah anticipated me by grabbing a towel and starting to wipe up the mess under his high chair.  When I asked him if he wanted to take a bath with his dad later, he immediately ran up the stairs, from the top of which he stood and yelled, "Daaaddy!  Shoooower!  Daaaddy!" until he was heeded.  (Time words, evidentially, are not his strength, but he processed the rest of my suggestion quite well.)  After Dad arrived, J went straight to his room, where his bath towel was hanging, pulled it down, and took it with him to the bathroom.  Our brilliant boy waited there at the tub edge for Daddy to get things rolling.

So smart, my little sweet pea.  I love him to bits.


No comments:

Post a Comment