Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Nursery

Last night, Bryan and I put some finishing touches on the baby's room, and--though I'm sure that we'll eventually come up with a few more projects and decorative elements to add (actually, I have one or two already in mind)--we're finally comfortable calling the room "complete".


Here's the nursery from its entry. We lucked
out when a neighbor gave us the rocking chair they
only recently finished using with their son.
So far we love our crib, made of solid, sustainably-
harvested wood with a non-toxic finish. We completed its look
with an all-organic, non-toxic mattress and matching linens
and with a colorful crib skirt that I stitched together
myself using my mom's old sewing machine.
Our old dresser transformed into the perfect
changing table when topped with an organic
changing pad. We also love the mobile we
designed and constructed to hang over it.
We found the bracket from which we're
hanging the mobile in the garden center
at Home Depot. Adore it!

But, don't worry.  Baby's isn't the only arrival for which we've been preparing.  Anticipating a few visits from out-of-town friends and family, we've also put our guest room (mostly) together.  Here's a preview, which we hope will help motivate your visit (or at least not de-incentivize it).  We can assure you it's quite comfortable; Bryan and I have been using the guest room while we wait for the new mattress for our own room to arrive.


There are still a few details, like wall art and curtains,
to work out, but all the basics are in place.

So far, thanks to some fortuitous choices by the previous owners, decorating the house has been a surprisingly simple task. We haven't had to paint even a single wall, for instance (which is fabulous because I have no idea where we'd find the time to do so anyway).  Each room seems almost bizarrely suited to the things we want to put in it.

There's still lots to unpack, but considering we almost never have to go down to the basement to retrieve something from a box, I'm inclined to believe that most of the high-priority items are all-set-to-go.  Truly, with thought to that quick progress, I have to give at least one last shout-out to all the friends and family who chipped in hauling boxes and furniture from our apartment just over a week ago.  You lovely people are the best of the best--and have made our lives so much easier (in the short term) and richer (speaking more generally and in the long)!  Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. It's looking beautiful! Nice work!! Sounds like things are going well & you are playing the waiting game now. Great!! I'll wait with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You'll get to see it all in person soon!

      Delete