Friday, February 8, 2013

6 Months

Okay, I admit, I've been a terrible poster lately.  My apologies, if you've been checking the blog more frequently than I've been writing on it.  (You can sign up for email updates, by the way, which would send you each new post via email, solving the problem of checking for new posts when there may not be any.) 

It's not that there haven't been any updates to share.  I've just been busy.  Turns out that as Jonah gets bigger (and more independent), he somehow manages to create more work rather than less.  Who would have guessed?  :-P

Anyway, for this post, I'm going to keep it fairly simple and quick.  Here's the rundown on Jonah's recent growth:

Jonah's now 6 months old! (And counting.)  Wow.  At six months he is:

  • sitting well on his own,
  • experimenting with solid foods,
  • weighing in at an impressive 17 pounds 13 ounces,
  • learning to play with stacking toys and blocks,
  • constantly babbling strings of consonants in addition to vowels,
  • starting to make up words for things.

That last items perhaps merits some explanation.  Jonah doesn't say any proper words yet (unless you want to attribute meaning to his frequent cries of "mamamamama..."), but he has started to assign sounds to certain objects around the house.  The most obvious example is the cats.  Every time he sees one he makes a very distinct sound, not entirely unlike a "k" but more like a hiss crossed with a gurgle, that is reserved just for them.  Coincidentally, it's also clear that he understands the word cat.  At the mention of these mischievous creatures, his eyes widen twice their size and he smiles (or sometimes looks around).  He  responds this way in the house all the time, but it was especially rewarding for us to see him do it at the pediatrician's office when the doctor just happened to mention cats.  Jonah, having been playing distractedly in his dad's lap, suddenly looked up, wide-eyed, straight at the doctor, as if to ask, "Cats, you say? Where?"

So that's it for now, but I will do my utmost to post more soon.  Videos of first encounters with solid food, for instance, are still forthcoming.  Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment